Search This Blog

20 August 2006

Friggin Computers

So, awhile back, EOTI purchased brand new hardware. After many crashes, and hours of tech support, we found out that there was a memory bug in our new CPUs that prevented them from working with more than 2GB of memory. Now, keep in mind that we had already paid for 4GB and two identical machines...

AMD offered to RMA them and give us newer CPUs that had the bug fixed -- if we were willing to do without our computers for a couple months -- since they don't do cross-shipping.  Well, since I can't really work, answer job requests, or even charge customers (ie: billing) without having a computer, I didn't do the RMA.

So today, we decide to just say screw it, purchase one, and use that while the other is RMA'ing.  We found the CPU that AMD was going to send us at Fry's and put it in. After hours of torture, we come to realize, it doesn't crash with 4 GB in because it won't boot with 4 GB in.  In fact, it will only boot with 2 or 3 GB in... But then, when you boot with 3, POST says you have 2, the BIOS says 3, and Windows says 2.5....

So, what does it come down to?  If you never learned your lesson about never ever buying the latest greatest of tech -- learn from me instead of learning the hard way.  I decided to give it a shot once, and we STILL can't use any of the products as advertised 2 years later.


Silver
told you not to buy the processor.
tsk tsk tsk
don't listen to the hardware guy, I don't know anything... hehe.   


Posted by Silver on Sun Aug 20 14:18:00 PDT 2006
Malachi
Well, I bought the one that AMD specifically said fixed the memory bug... you didn't tell me not to buy it -you said to buy it online ;)

Posted by Malachi on Sun Aug 20 14:19:00 PDT 2006
WILL POWER!
This reminds me to ask you...

What specs should my next pc have?  I know I want the best video processor I can have for a reasonable price.  My main focus is gaming, gaming, gaming, and gaming.  Looking to spend 1000-1500 but I will spend more if I have to in order to get the shiznit.


Posted by WILL POWER! on Sun Aug 20 15:14:00 PDT 2006
Malachi
..1 importance is MEMORY... people have a habit of overlooking this, but low memory makes fast CPU and big hard drive pointless...  when you run low on memory, it will use the hard drive AS memory, and it is always slow in comparison... 2GB minimum. 4GB if you can.

..2 graphics cards.... if you have a specific game in mind, I would check out their specs... I have had some games that hated to work on ATI and some that hated to work on NVidia. Personally, I have come to love my Dual-SLI NVidia setup. I have not tried the quad-SLI yet...

..3 cooling... good cooling is a must for gaming... otherwise, overheat = slow down or even crash...  if you aren't going to do watercooling or something, at least go with a case that allows lots of fans... my board also comes with a "heat pipe" but I haven't really noticed if it helps or not...

..4 video.... I *love* my 19" Samsung 930B... 4ms response time is better than most out there, and I have never had problems with Samsung monitors...

..5 cd/dvd... if you plan on making any of your own home movies, go with the Dual-Layer DVD+RW... If not, price compare between single and dual layer.

..6... maybe just ask Brett :)


Posted by Malachi on Sun Aug 20 15:26:00 PDT 2006
WILL POWER!
I'll be playing WOW, COV, COH, MOH, Galaxies, and sports games prolly.

Posted by WILL POWER! on Mon Aug 21 06:26:00 PDT 2006
Sylkwyrm

OMG! thats alot of games! Hey, are you still working for a living??? ;-)



Posted by Sylkwyrm on Fri Aug 25 10:05:00 PDT 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment