Search This Blog

23 January 2006

King vs. California King

So I was browsing today, and remembered that someone recently was arguing with me (yet again) about the difference between a King and a California King.  I don't remember who it was, but since it comes up all the time, thought I would share the facts with whoever is interested.

From the argument, I had thought that the California King was a rotated King; they had thought the California King was longer but the same width. It appears we were both wrong.

  • King:
    • width: 76"
    • height: 80"
    • also known as: Standard King
    • also known as: Eastern King
  • California King:
    • width: 72"
    • height: 84"
    • also known as: Western King

 

So, the King is 4" wider and the California King is 4" longer. If you multiple width*height, you will also see that the King is technically larger (more square inches) that the California King because of the fact that it is narrower. It doesn't seem that way, because the California King is longer.



Silver
That's fine, I don't mind missing 4" on the sides if I get to add it to the bottom.
and it's me you argue with, I was commenting that it's longer than a standard king, but if they are hacking out 4" from the sides than I was wrong as well.
or Simms, I had the argument with him as well.   


Posted by Silver on Mon Jan 23 06:55:00 PST 2006
Sylkwyrm
Does this mean we have to get a new bed?

Posted by Sylkwyrm on Mon Jan 23 08:23:00 PST 2006
Malachi
Yeah, custom made. We need one 76" wide and 84" long :) We'll call it a Biggie King :)

Posted by Malachi on Mon Jan 23 08:26:00 PST 2006
KerryRose a.k.a. "Santa's Mistress"
I happen to own 2 California King beds.  They are wider than a queen but narrower than a standard king.  They are nice and long so Jed's and my feet don't hang off the ends.  I highly recommend them!  :-)

Posted by KerryRose a.k.a. "Santa's Mistress" on Mon Jan 23 19:02:00 PST 2006
Malachi

I actually find that I purposely hang my feet over the end. After having them run over as a kid, I don't like a lot of pressure on my toes. But just the feet -- still have the bed support my ankles.

As a side note, the Standard King is still almost 6'8" long (as opposed to 7' for the California King) -- I didn't think either of you were over 6'8".



Posted by Malachi on Mon Jan 23 23:16:00 PST 2006
veluxx
I have a Cal. King since my hubby is 6'5''. Really any extra legnth is a savior, if he wants to have bed above his head, and below his feet. The width is no problem though we reguarly have Chris, Amelia, and I all in the bed with no problem. I don't care personally, I can sleep on the bed horizontally with no problem.


Posted by veluxx on Tue Jan 24 00:32:00 PST 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment