Search This Blog

09 November 2004

Close-Minded BS

You know, I am sick and tired of close minded people telling me what to think. It is a bunch of fucking BS.

For the last few months, my mother-in-law has been sending me Pro-Bush email after email. Any time we try to show her any facts, she says that they are propaganda without even looking at them. Ok, she is a bit older, perhaps she is one of those people so stuck in their ways that they can't accept the truth.

But her daughter (my sister-in-law) is another matter. She is the only other republican I know (which she wasn't anything near being republican a few years ago). She doesn't have old-age to account for her close-minded attitude. In fact, she only has her mother and new husband to account for her new mindset. Don't believe me, ask one of her friends (most of the people with blogs to the left). They have all been saying that.

So, the other day my mother-in-law sent my wife an email talking about how disappointed she was that Oregon was blue on the map instead of red, and how it was all of those strong liberal democrats in Portland that caused the problem. My wife felt that the email targetted her specifically (and I felt probably me also, though I am not a democrat). Interestingly enough, this is one of the few political emails her mom did NOT send to me -- probably assuming she wouldn't like my reaction. My wife, on the other hand, usually tries to be really nice so as to not hurt her moms feelings. In this case, she replied (to all) telling her to keep her republican ideals away from us (and mention specifics about anti-gay, bible-banging, etc).

So, my wifes sister (the other republican) started chatting with me today, telling me that I wouldn't believe the hurtful email she sent. Then we started to discuss the fact that my wife feels that her mother and sister are always trying to control her life, and getting pissed off when she doesn't let them.

A little background. A few months ago, they both (same day) tried to convince her that she should give up college and her career plans and work as a flagger for the traffic department. Both of them said the same thing, almost word for word -- but denied talking to each other about it. Then, they got into a little discussion and haven't spoken to each other since. Dino's been waiting for an apology, which will never come.

And then the day of our wedding came up... On that day, Dino was out with her dad getting stuff for the wedding, and her mom told me she should just shoot herself in the head because Dino was pissing her off so much for taking so long. I wanted to slap her so hard - that is not something to joke about - especially to the groom on his wedding day -- and she didn't even say it as a joke. Dino's sister (Lori) said that Dino wasn't appreciating all that her mom had done for her wedding day. Ok, granted her mom spent like $300 for the wedding -- but we paid like $25000 and did everything ourselves. Not only did we organize everything, pay for everything, etc - but we even put them up in a motel that we paid for. So, no matter how you look at it, that comment was not in the least bit justified.

So Lori goes off to explain that Dino isn't following her own path, but convincing herself that my path is her path. If that is true, it would be hard to explain how she was on that path before we got together. But then again, Lori did drop music and singing to work at the administration office where her husband is going to school. Of course, now Lori wants to work in the film industry, not like it has anything to do with her husbands goals or anything.

So, Lori starts going off about how Dino's whole personality has changed because of me. Interesting. Dino has always been somewhat of a rebel, standing up for what she believed in. Of course, Lori has switched from Punk and Singing to a Republican in the film industry. But, of course, Lori must be right. I have turned Dino into... hmm? What?

So then Lori starts going off about how Dino becomes whinny whenever someone says something she doesn't agree with. I pointed out that Dino replied by standing up for what she believed in. Of course, the whole conversation did start off with Lori being pissed off at what Dino had said. Interesting.

Then she said that Bush won, and even had 48% of Portland. I started providing links (like many posted elsewhere here) that show proof of voter and election fraud. She just said that we were so deluded, that it was all propaganda (without even looking at them), and then said the conversation is over.

So, looks like she is as close-minded as her mother about politics. That's OK. Eudora has a nice filtering feature.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete