Search This Blog

01 September 2005

Become: Be smart, Be Thrifty, Just Be

I just did a lot of research to replace the DLink DGL-4300 Gaming Router I bought (which isn't actually a router). Had I known about this place, I wonder if it would have been faster.

I really like the auto-suggestions being in a separate section. Makes it easier to see than the auto-pulldown...

And it's all written in Java. Nice :) Not only that, but they chose Java so that it would be faster than the C++ one they already had :) haha...

a couple comments from the 'its all in Java' link...

No one believed it was possible, but we were able to build the prototype crawler in three months using two developers, which was a major achievement.


hmm, but then they go on to say that they then wrote it so that it is in Java, but the data structures are in C++, but there is no JNI... hmmm....

they moved away from SQL cuz it wasn't good enough -- that's good. they went to a proprietary format -- that's bad...

they used JDK 5 -- that's good.
they're using RMI -- not so hot....

they are running Intel on Linux -- and said the hardware AND operating system failed more often than the JVM... very interesting indeed... perhaps that's why I don't use either?

NIO and JAXB -- very good. I always do both as well....

Eclipse was too slow ;) yep


No comments:

Post a Comment