Search This Blog

16 February 2006

Hardware woes

So today, one of the new harddrives in the workstation failed, causing the RAID array to give errors... I called Asus, who by the way are not very polite, and they had me email some other department that has not yet responded. They also told me to contact AMD regarding the memory problem because evidentally, the memory controllers are in the CPU now instead of on the motherboard... didn't know that.

Called AMD. They are going to set me up to RMA both my CPUs for newer revisions in hopes that it fixes the problems.  I haven't gotten the email yet telling me how to go about the RMA -- but when I do they will take about 14 business days AFTER getting my CPUs before I get the replacements -- which means server and workstation down for a bit...

And I called Hitachi. Since the nVidia controller is saying a drive went bad and I have no other way to test it, they are going to cross-ship me a replacement.  Counter productive to ensuring I don't loose any data, I am using the machine while I wait (using the mirror of the RAID 0+1)... hopefully it doesn't completely thrash all of my data while I wait for the replacement hard drive...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment